Friday, September 26, 2008

The Best Things In Life Are Free … Books

It’s a good week for Sir Kenneth of Bruen, people – LONDON BOULEVARD has just been short-listed for the SNCF ‘Best Foreign Crime Novel’ award in France (ooh la-la, etc.). Nice one, Sir Kenneth. To celebrate, we’re giving away – courtesy of the lovely folk at Brandon Books – three hardback copies of AMERICAN SKIN for free, gratis and nuffink. First, the blurb elves:
Stephen Blake is a good man blown in bad directions. He and girlfriend Siobhan, best friend Tommy, IRA terrorist Stapleton, and a particularly American sort of psychopath named Dade, are all on a collision course somewhere between the dive bars of New York and the pitiless desert of the Southwest. This is the long-awaited American novel by Ken Bruen, the hard-boiled master of Irish noir.
  Nice. To be in with a chance of winning a copy of AMERICAN SKIN, just answer the following question.
Is Ken Bruen’s rock ‘n’ roll alter-ego:
(a) Iggy Pop;
(b) Keith Richards;
(c) Kris Kristofferson;
(d) Jerry Lee Lewis?
  Answers via the comment box, please, leaving an email contact address (using (at) rather than @ to confound the spam-munchkins) by noon on Tuesday, September 30. Et bon chance, mes amis

10 comments:

  1. Arrrgh! Want that!

    I'll go with (d), Jerry Lee Lewis.

    gerardforpresident(at)yahoo.co.uk

    gb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go with Iggy b/c he is the one I like better and his music is "noirisher".

    Marco

    marcolin(at)lillinet.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be the first to say it -- he's totally Kris Kristofferson!

    blindenmuth at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's got to be Iggy

    rawsonkeith (at)gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it to be Kieth Richards, if I remember a particularly funny scene in SLIDE correctly. :)

    info
    at
    stuart
    neville
    dot
    com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I reckon I'd go with Iggy Pop as well.

    forbyone (AT) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd go with (c) - Ken Bruen is the wisened gentleman of crime fiction. He's not loud and he's not brash. He's just damn good.

    P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Stuart, tell me you didn't just misspell Keith?

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Keith: Ah. I did, didn't I? I shall stand in the corner for an hour and think about what I've done.

    ReplyDelete

Declan Burke has published a number of novels, the most recent of which is ABSOLUTE ZERO COOL. As a journalist and critic, he writes and broadcasts on books and film for a variety of media outlets, including the Irish Times, RTE, the Irish Examiner and the Sunday Independent. He has an unfortunate habit of speaking about himself in the third person. All views expressed here are his own and are very likely to be contrary.