Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Don’t Leave Me Hanging On The Telephone ...

A little help required, folks. Your humble host is thinking of upgrading his mobile phone (that’s ‘cell phone’ to y’all on the North American landmass, y’all) to get a fairly comprehensive internet and email service on the move, and I’m stuck between Blackberry and iPhone. I’m not all that pushed about the device’s capacity to play music / predict the future / make brownies, although I wouldn’t mind a phone with a decent camera and / or video camera included. Also, it should be able to take a moderate amount of punishment, as my phone tends to live in my pocket, 24/7. Any suggestions and /or advice welcome via the comment box below, and thank’ee kindly …

3 comments:

  1. iPhone. Hands down.
    Yours,
    Apple's greatest fan.
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have neither, and my purple mobile is older than the decrepit one in your photo.

    But, my other half had a Blackberry for a while and it was c**p.

    Was treated to a very enthusiastic demonstration of the iPhone by author Caroline Lawrence, and if I didn't like purple so much and had so little money, I'd get one.

    Arlene can't be Apple's greatest fan, btw. I am.

    So you know what to do now, don't you? Spending your birthday money?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get the Blackberry 8900. Blackberrys are A MILLION MILES better than iPhones. After the first day or so, when you get over the iPhone's nifty looks and the "coolness" of the touchscreen interface, you realise it doesn't work all that well. Very difficult to type anything longer than an SMS, the browser is slow and all that resizing everything so you can see it is quite frankly a pain in the ass. I've used both and Blackberrys are miles better. Even the Blackberry Pearl I'm using at the moment is better than the iPhone. Will be getting the 8900 shortly. Reviews are stellar. From one of the few who's used both, Blackberrys mightn't look as cool but they work a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete

Declan Burke has published a number of novels, the most recent of which is ABSOLUTE ZERO COOL. As a journalist and critic, he writes and broadcasts on books and film for a variety of media outlets, including the Irish Times, RTE, the Irish Examiner and the Sunday Independent. He has an unfortunate habit of speaking about himself in the third person. All views expressed here are his own and are very likely to be contrary.