Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Unbearable Likeness Of Being

The word around the pastry table is that the rather sultry Tana French (right) is whipping up a tasty dessert to complement her meaty debut In The Woods. Quoth Glenn Harper of International Noir:
“Unlikely as it may seem (to anyone who has read Irish writer Tana French’s In the Woods), French is working on a sequel or maybe a series. The next volume, titled The Likeness, is due out next spring, featuring the female partner (Cassie) of Ryan, the detective narrator of In the Woods. Cassie has her own dark past (to match Ryan’s childhood secrets), both in her college years and in her undercover work prior to joining the fictional murder squad. I have to say I’m intrigued ...”
‘The Likeness’, eh? Could the title be a tongue-in-cheek nod to all those writers who simply replicate the formula of their first success? Only time, that notoriously doity rat, will tell …

4 comments:

  1. Wow. A follow up novel. That is good to know. I wonder if she will answer any of the looming questions? Or try to repair the relationship between Rob and Cassie. I truly loved that book. Working in a library, I am surely going to suggest it to my readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved In the Woods. I particularly loved the 'down ending' - the fact that French didn't take the sugary option, but rigorously brought her flawed, lovable detective to the perfect conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear that a second book is coming out! I thought Into the Woods was fantastic until i got to the ending and was still stuck with questions i had asked from the very beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was truly disappointed by the conclusion of In The Woods. And I don't want to hear I needed a sugar-coated Hollywood ending. No, open endings are fine, but I didn't believe this.

    In addition, the relationship between the two detectives comes across more like that of a pair of late teen-agers. No wonder Rob couldn't resist the almost 18-year-old mixer.

    ReplyDelete

Declan Burke has published a number of novels, the most recent of which is ABSOLUTE ZERO COOL. As a journalist and critic, he writes and broadcasts on books and film for a variety of media outlets, including the Irish Times, RTE, the Irish Examiner and the Sunday Independent. He has an unfortunate habit of speaking about himself in the third person. All views expressed here are his own and are very likely to be contrary.