Tuesday, October 30, 2007

“Ya Wanna Do It Here Or Down The Station, Punk?” # 984: Kyle Mills

Yep, it’s rubber-hose time, folks: a rapid-fire Q&A for those shifty-looking usual suspects ...
What crime novel would you most like to have written?
I’m not sure it’s a pure crime novel, but I always wished I’d written Tom Clancy’s CARDINAL OF THE KREMLIN. It’s one of the only books I ever read that I felt compelled to immediately read again.
Who do you read for guilty pleasures?
Eric Van Lustbader. Not only are his own books great fun, but I think he’s done a really good job picking up Ludlum’s Bourne character.
Most satisfying writing moment?
Whenever I get one of those rare, really good ideas. Hopefully, it happens in the morning, because I traditionally take the rest of the day off.
The best Irish crime novel is …?
I hate to admit it, but I know nothing about the nationalities of the authors I read – even the ones I love. I recently met Lee Child and discovered he wasn’t from Texas. Why I thought he was, I have no idea.
Worst / best thing about being a writer?
The worst is having to be creative on someone else’s timetable. The best is being able to work from anywhere.
The pitch for your next novel is …?
An eco-terrorist pumps a hydrocarbon-eating bacteria into major oil fields in an attempt to destroy the world’s petroleum reserves.
Who are you reading right now?
David L. Robbins. I’m just finishing his soon-to-be-released book THE BETRAYAL GAME – a historical novel about America’s attempts to assassinate Fidel Castro.
The three best words to describe your own writing are …?
I shoot for: realistic, large-scale, and even-handed.

Kyle Mills’ DARKNESS FALLS is published by Vanguard Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Declan Burke has published a number of novels, the most recent of which is ABSOLUTE ZERO COOL. As a journalist and critic, he writes and broadcasts on books and film for a variety of media outlets, including the Irish Times, RTE, the Irish Examiner and the Sunday Independent. He has an unfortunate habit of speaking about himself in the third person. All views expressed here are his own and are very likely to be contrary.